Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Alcohol

So I've been 21 for 5 months now.

It's so weird being able to go buy alcohol whenever I want, but I dislike the experience of checking out at a store with alcohol.

I dislike it so much that I usually buy a lot at once so I don't have to keep coming back. Which is silly because then I look like a raging alcoholic with a cart full of beer.

Anyway, the weird thing I guess about being 21 is that you have alcohol just lying around your house a lot. Like it's just there. I mean you may touch it like once a week, or just have it there to bring to other people's houses to party. Either way sometimes weird irrational things happen.

Like today. I get home from a morning of work and I'm like 'oh it would be nice to have a mikes hard later with dinner.' So I go to 7-11 (my favorite place to buy alcohol because small stores and not a lot of people to call you out on being an alcoholic). I buy two six packs of mikes because hey, I like to stock up so that awkward experience doesn't happen to often. I mean I still feel like I'm not allowed to buy alcohol. Maybe it's because I look so young and the cashiers always eye my i.d. for like 20 seconds before they hand it back to me.

Anyway, I get home and I think I better start on my take home final for quantitative reasoning that's due Friday. I open up my computer files, go to the kitchen and try to find something to drink. So I open a mikes.

WAIT, WTF.

Did I seriously just open a mikes to drink WHILE I do a FINAL TEST. What the hell? This is something that never would have occurred to me to even do when I was 20 years old. Who just DRINKS while they're doing HOMEWORK?

It's like opening up a mikes on your break at work...what?

So I'm just standing there with my open mikes like 'crap I can't just dump it out now or put it back in the fridge it will lose all it's bubbly.' So I just drink it.

Which doesn't make me drunk or anything, but I feel a little HAPPIER now about doing my final. Which isn't right. I should feel totally miserable about doing a final. Misery makes one concentrate more on the task at hand. But do I have a more clear mind now? Absolutely not. So basically I'm a moron.

Now I'm just going to take a nap. Wake up in an hour. Then start my final.

Now I feel like an alcoholic....after all that effort I went through to look like one.

-Holly

No comments: