Wednesday, August 4, 2010

BEDA DAY 4

SUCCESS!

I've officially started my thesis. By that I mean I've opened a book on the thesis subject.

Have I even said what my thesis is yet?

Well, I'm researching/arguing the idea that Online Gaming (Particularly MMORPG games, like World of Warcraft) can inadvertently benefit the players in real life.

Awesome, right? I'm not an online gamer myself, but I'm very intrigued by it considering I know a lot of people in and out of my family who play. I don't play because I know that if I started I wouldn't be able to stop (and that's scary considering my brother sits in my Mother's house all day and plays WOW non stop...he's 23). So as I was observing other people playing these games I began to wonder what the draw was, what made it so addictive, and why were so many people playing it! WOW alone as 8.5 million players worldwide. So we have 8.5 million people dedicating most of their time and energy into this game right? We have to wonder if they're taking anything away from the game.

For instance, from talking to my brother I've heard a lot about social interaction in the game and how those who are socially outcasted in real life have a chance to be social in the gaming world. This in turn can help their social behavior outside of the game if they choose.

Also, guilds are a fantastic representation of communities and cultures. To be in a guild you have to go through a rigorous interview process to see if you fit with the beliefs and customs (but most important raiding time frame) of the guild. The process can take weeks and you need to fill out at least 2 applications. Sounds familiar, right? That's because it's similar to interviewing for a job. Is it possible that this interview process for WOW is actually HELPFUL for when a player is interviewing for a job in real life?

In one book I'm reading now, the guy who wrote it has a PhD and he is in a guild called Truants which consists of himself and other PhDs and advanced graduate students who don't only play MMORPGs, they study them. This guys also argues that WOW is so intriguing because it's a perfect simulacrum of a capitalistic society where if you work hard you will be rewarded. Real life doesn't aw lays work out this way, so the pull for some people is that the ideological capitalist system works in WOW and is also recognizable as to what should be.

Now I'm geeking out here so let's take a step back and just say my thesis is about social benefits of playing World of Warcraft. In a nut shell.

It's sort of kind of VERY AWESOME.

So BEDA day 4? On BEDA day 4 I started my thesis work. Go me.

-Holly

2 comments:

Megan said...

Prob not going to be much help since you're in USA, but who knows!

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/event/freeplay-independent-games-festival

建邱勳 said...

Learn wisdom by the follies of others.............................................................