Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Ridiculous Formalities of Higher Education

So in 3 weeks I'll have completed my first year of grad school. If all else goes smoothly in a year and 3 weeks I'll have my Master of Science in Communications. Remember my first day of graduate school? Oh yes I believe in my blog it went something like this, and I quote:

"They all use big words and smarty pants theories I've never even heard of before. Even the Professors. Do you know anything about the "Dreyfus model for skill acquisition" or "Neo-Aristotelian rhetorical criticism" or "Double Hermeneutics"? ME EITHER! There is a list like this of 60 terms all just as weird and confusing that I have to memorize (and their definitions) by the end of the quarter."

This tiny freak out went on and on until my head nearly exploded with worry. Turns out that I do now know what neo-Aristotelian rhetorical criticism is AND hermeneutics. Turns out these are fairly simple terms and it also turns out that they are basically totally useless, at least as far as giving them big words are. I mean instead of saying hermeneutics you could just say interpretation. I mean really? Do we have to call it that big word?

Apparently we do, because higher education is all about looking and acting as pretentious as you possibly can.

AND THIS IS HOW EVERYONE FOOLS YOU!

You think everyone is smarter and better and grand because they use big words and have amazing theories and they read big name people but REALLY it's just a bunch of memorizing and learning how to sputter things out at the right moment. It's one BIG JOKE.

So now I have a first chair committee who is pretty great and all and I'm doing a thesis on World of Warcraft. Yeah, that's right WOW. Because apparently getting any kind of degree in communications basically equals you being able to do whatever you want, because hey, we're still trying ot figure out how to define communications. Isn't that wonderful?

Now I'm trying to apply for degree candidacy which is where I fill out this one page form. Sounds easy, right? WRONG.

They have to make it all complicated with their wording and stupidness(oh, wait that's not a word). Basically, I keep getting the sheet sent back and they're like:

"This class shouldn't be listed here, list it somewhere else"

but then my chair is like

"no, that's where it's supposed to be"

and then my department head is like

"no, it's in the right spot but it's 4 credits not 5."

AND OH MY GOD YOU PEOPLE HAVE PHDs IN COMMUNICATION HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER?!?!?! REALLY?!?!??!

Then I e-mail my department head and I ask if my 2nd chair needs to have a doctoral degree. He says no, your 2nd sari can be ANY PROFESSOR YOU WANT, just has to be outside of the comm department. So I think GREAT this will be easy. WRONG. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Basically I'm on the 5th professor I've e-mailed to be my 2nd and they all have said 'no' spewing stupid bull shit excuses like:

"I'd love to, but I'm too busy"
"I'd love to, but I'm not graduate faculty"
"I'd love to, but I don't have my Phd."
"I'd love to, but I can't be bothered with your petty thesis because I'm a grand smart professor and you're just a stupid grad student, go away peasant."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Who knew it'd be this hard to form a stupid committee. They should just form one for you, but really that would take WORK and the last thing a professor ever wants to do is inconvenience themselves.

This. Is. Idiotic.

-Holly

12 comments:

Tone Hoeft said...

Everything you want to learn you can learn outside of college and grad school. It's just about making your resume look pretty, which in the end, doesn't even matter because who cares about a Masters in Communication?

I love school...

Megan said...

I love your blogs. I really do.

Good luck!!! lol

Hollishillis said...

@megan Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

@Tone We should have just gotten big people jobs. Then we both wouldn't have to be in this hell hole for another year.

佩璇 said...

視訊聊天網A片-殺很大成人a影片論壇kk777視訊俱樂部avdvd情色影片嘟嘟無碼a片情色視訊聊天視訊交友聊天室avdvd無碼情色電影卡通美女a片免費試看小魔女免費影片3d美女視訊免費看哈拉網路成人區jp成人jp58avooo影音a 片天堂ut影音視訊聊天室13077aa免費影片s383情色大網咖免費 a片網愛聊天室hilive-免費影片甜心寶貝貼影片免費成人片觀賞xvediox免費影片sod特輯sex520免費影片yawuuthome 視訊聊天室av女優王國情色a片flashxyzutobe 影片分享小弟貼影片bt成人免費視訊美眉A片-sex520免費 a 片獸皇影片分享區小澤圓線上免費影片女生自衛影片日本a電影okav成人影院免費avdvd影片免費線上影片 情色a片免費無碼a片小魔女影片交流嘟嘟情人色網影片華人色片ol 線上免費影片葉子媚影片分享色瞇瞇影片網熟女人影片金瓶影片交流區-無碼a片免費影片-無碼a片免費影片欣賞aaaaa7777788卡提諾成人免費線上影片觀看avdvd免費無碼a片台灣kiss情色貼圖色妹妺免費影片觀賞

姜姜 said...

完成一個小目標,會把自己推向一個大目標.............................................

于呈均名 said...

Well done!............................................................

佩GailBohanan1蓉 said...

It is no use crying over spilt milk.............................................................

mckinney said...

成人85 高雄視訊 土豆聊天室 無碼影片 交友 av女優 性感脫衣遊戲 脫衣影片 偷拍貼圖 聊天室小高 女女愛愛圖 免費觀看情趣影片 18禁免費 少女自拍貼片 免費影城 成人a片 情色 av色情片 一夜情 383影城 視訊聊天室 玩美女人 美女 辣妹 人妻 熟女 免費視訊 視訊聊天 a圖 寫真a片 885cc 線上成人 嘟嘟 影音視訊 自拍貼圖 找援交妹 情人聊天室 免費脫衣舞短片 av色情片 洪爺影城 大奶 sex 成人電影下載 巨乳影片 性感制服 後宮電影院(入口) 限制級 裸體0204影片 性愛免費觀賞 歐美模特兒走光

定治定治 said...

Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today.................................................................

韻枝 said...

Man proposes, God disposes...................................................................

哲維維 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。.................................................................

亦妮亦妮 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」......................................................................