Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The...unknown?

There is nothing worse than the unknown. I swear no one would fear death if we just KNEW what happens to us when our body stops functioning and our minds go blank.

Then again, if we knew what death had in store for us and it was say, sitting in a basement tied to a chair watching re-runs of Gray's Anattomy I could apprecaite the fear in knowing that.

Holly, why are you talking about death?

Reader, I have no idea. I was trying to go somewhere with this...somewhere with the unknown and oh yeah I just remembered.

Today, I had my real graduate studies final interview process thing. It was scary. I had met the guy once before, he is VERY Irish and he has these weird looking eyes that are small and the right one moves in different directions than the left (and oh my god if he is reading this I am so sorry) but he's a nice guy. So why was I nervous? Well I guess it was the unknown. What questions would he ask me? Was he going to like my answers? Could I give good answers?

Turns out I had nothing to worry about. I slid through the interview with no problems, and at the end he was just kind of like, "Well it's not official yet but I'm going to reccomend to the grad office that you get in, you seem like a perfect candidate."

I said: "Excellent."

What I wanted to say: "Um, Did you even look at my GRE scores? They were horrible. Also, where in Ireland are you from cause I'm writing a novel about a place in Ireland and I could really use a first persons account. Also, and I'm sorry if this offends you, but why are your eyes like that? Do you like rugby?"

Anyway, The point of this blog was the unknown. I was scared of this interview because I wasn't sure what to expect, how it was going to go, and what I had to say and act and do.

I have this problem where I look ahead TOO much. I'm always waiting for the next road block in my life to pop up so I can get to it and worry about it WAY before I have to. I want to KNOW the UNKNOWN before it becomes KNOWN. This causes me great amounts of stress so it's my biggest flaw I think, and my strength too cause it allows me to get things done the second they are capable of being done.

So anyway, here is some stuff I feel like saying in one sentece:
I got into grad school (almost officially, yay!).
I went to Portland.
The Columbia River is beautiful.
I saw the Washington stone henge and the U.K. Stonehenge
I pet a dog named Ned.
I pet 8 dogs with several different names who slobbered all over me.
I ate a deep fried pie (still recovering).
I went to Silverwood twice.
I saw Inglorious Basterds.
I am obsessed with dailybooth ( www.dailybooth.com/hollishillis ).
I still have no car.
I have 12,000 to pay off in student loans, this number will increase very soon.
My phone won't charge on it's own unless I hold the charger into the phone.
My toes bother me.
I re-read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows for the 3rd time yesterday.
I hate it that you can't pump your own gas in Oregon.
I need to make a valleygirl15/wereadbooks/hollishillis/thetwihardest video.
I am now obsesed with the tv show Eureka (thanks to patti).
I just spend a years worth of coke rewards on a drawing to go to Hawaii for 5 days.

These are just some of the things I've done...I will do...I think about...idunno...but they are definately not the UNKNOWN. Not anymore.

-Holly

No comments: